Friday 5 March 2010

But is it art?

One of the things you may or may not notice in this blog - depending on if you're blinded by the flagrant use of f-bombs - is that nothing I really write about is of any intellectual significance. I like to hide behind the use of bigger words than the average and wear them like a tiny paper helmet of indignance - See? - but nothing I talk about is really that clever.

Today's post will be no different. I just felt the need to point that out.

I was in London today. With my dear friend Laura. As we were in London, we felt we should take in some of the more cultural things the city has to offer by doing... Well... Nothing. We just bummed around and discussed things ranging from the important and the insignificant, such as Laura accidentally catching on fire. I had nothing to do with that.

This led me to start thinking about art, as it usually does, because she never fucking shuts up about the stuff. Warning, if you're offended by swearing, don't read that last sentence. I've never really understood art, in the tangible sense. I mean, music is art, books are art and by that insinuation, this blog is art. Technically, this is comparable to the Mona Lisa. Favourably, in some eyes. But I'm getting sidetracked. Stuff like paintings, sculpture and even photography, I've never really understood. I've been shown pieces of art that all I can honestly see in them is "That looks a bit like a bloke."

Being as I am, I do strive to understand what I'm seeing. But I really struggle to find any deep meaning in it. I can't interpret it the way others do and I can't honestly see beyond the lines on the page or whatever it may be. I love books, reading is one of my real pleasures and the words and images that come from them just jump off the page. Music, as we all know from previous blogs, is basically the be all and end all of my existence.

But art? Nah mate, it's just lines and colour to me. I mean, I can look at a drawing and appreciate it for the technique. But show me a picture and ask me to tell you what I see and what I think it means and I will tell you "I see a bowl of fruit. This means that the artist was painting a bowl of fruit."

The reason I bring this up is because it makes me feel somewhat of an idiot. I have a lot of fairly arty friends and they are always talking about this new exhibition or this new artist. I just sit there, drink another pint and bitterly complain about the fact I have no idea, while abusing the jukebox for not having anywhere near enough showtunes on. Partly I feel quite isolated but the main problem is that I really do want to understand. I also want Christina Hendricks, but I'll settle for the understanding. But Christina Hendricks will do if understanding is not currently available.

Oh, in case this felt like a little too much like civilised conversation, Zane Lowe is such a fucking prick. No reason I mention that now, his was just the first name that jumped out at me when I loaded up the BBC site. That and the fact he's a fucking prick.

I love blogging daily. I also love the fact that Sof does it too, I like having something to read when I get in.

Oh, one more thing - Fuck off, would you kindly?

No comments: